High Winds Cause Transformer Fire in Norfolk
NORFOLK-Strong winds caused an air conditioner unit to catch fire in a neighborhood in Norfolk.
According to Norfolk Fire Marshall Terry Zwiebel, the division received a call just after 7:30 Wednesday evening of a level one transformer fire at 1101 South 3rd Street.
Zwiebel: "Appears what happened is the high winds we had today blew over the power mast that goes into the meter. It caused sparks which caught some leaves to catch fire that were around the house."
Norfolk Fire Captain John Reding says the building is owned by Russ and Kim Wilcox, while the occupant, Ashley Hoferer, was not home at the time. Reding estimates about $5,000 worth of damage to the home. No one was injured.